There are numerous places of historical significance to visit in Ulverston. It's the birthplace of Stan Laurel, and of the Quaker movement. The Parish church was founded in 1111 AD, and has a Tudor tower. Ulverston is surrounded by beautiful countryside, and is now home to one of Europe's largest Buddhist communities.
Bracken-covered and sheep-grazed limestone upland to the south of Ulverston. Remains of ancient settlements, tumuli and a double stone circle known as the Druid’s Temple testify to the occupation of Neolithic and Bronze Age peoples in this area.
One of the last remaining producers of hand-blown and hand-cut English lead crystal glassware. Visit the factory and watch the craftsmen at work from Monday to Friday. Factory shop open every day. Free entry to view glass blowing, and up to 50% off in the factory shop. Glass cutting and engraving courses available at weekends.
This prominent memorial on Hoad Hill was built in 1850 in honour of Sir John Barrow, a naval explorer and Second Secretary to the Admiralty. It is a replica of an early version of the Eddystone Lighthouse. It is open to the public on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 1pm to 5pm, from Easter to the end of October, when the flag on the hill is flying. The monument can be hired for weddings and other celebrations.
An award-winning micro-brewery, situated in the Old Auction Mart, close to the town centre. Visitors are welcome to watch the brewing process and taste the beer. There is a bar and off-sales, which are open to pre-booked parties only.
Home to one of the largest Buddhist communities in Europe. The Buddhist temple and historic mansion are set in 70 acres of woodlands and parkland next to Morecambe Bay. Cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. Guided tours are available.
The Cumbria Way long-distance walk starts in The Gill at the Cumbria Way marker sculpture. This 70 mile / 112 km walk is relatively low level, runs through the central lakes, and finishes at Carlisle. Nearest car parks are at The Gill and Stockbridge Lane, or park free of charge at the roadside on Daltongate.
In 2010, the Laurel and Hardy statue was unveiled by Ken Dodd. The bronze statue was commissioned and paid for by a public appeal organised by the Sons of the Desert. It stands outside the Coronation Hall, where Stan and Ollie appeared on the balcony in 1947.
Parish church with the unforgettable date of 1111 AD as its foundation. The main church building is Victorian, with a Tudor tower at the west end, and a Norman arch over the inner door.
Ulverston canal is the shortest and deepest canal in the country and was constructed in 1796. The canal is around 1.25 miles in length and on average 20 metres wide. There is an easy and accessible walk down the towpath from Canal Head (near Booths) to Canal Foot (by the Bay Horse). This freshwater canal is a haven for wildlife.
The Coronation Hall is one of the principal buildings in Ulverston, and has the largest capacity of any hall in the south Cumbria area. The hall and function rooms host a variety of events, including music, theatre, festivals, blood donation sessions, and coffee mornings.
George Fox founded the Quaker movement here, and used this Elizabethan manor house as its base from 1652 to 1664. Meetings were held in the Great Hall, and Fox would sometimes preach from a balcony.
Ulverston has an indoor market hall and an outdoor street market. The indoor market is open all day Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri & Sat, and includes a bakers, greengrocer, bookstall, gifts, fashions & haberdashery. The outdoor market takes place on Thursdays and Saturdays, and stallholders vary depending on the season, weather, etc. A number of the Saturday markets take on special significance by association with the town’s festivals, where there may be street entertainers, cookery demonstrations, and a larger number of stalls than usual.